Pages

Thursday, May 16, 2013

3 Step Guide to Redefining Physical Fitness: My Journey

After six years of constant work, I believe that anyone can reinvent their physical self and overcome unfathomable odds. I state this as someone who went from a 220lbs frame to a 150lbs frame, working to recreate the body I originally built up to play college football. Before my football days came to an end, I could literally feel my elevated heart rate and absolutely hated running. I couldn't stand to run more than 100 yards. I never had the desire to go out for a run. So, what changed or motivated me to lace up the shoes? It is quite simple really, I felt terrible and was scared that every ounce of muscle would transition to fat once I walked away from football. To give you a view of my progress, here is the before and after statistics of my effort.


Football (2004)
  • Weight: 220lbs
  • Body Fat: 15%
  • Resting Heart Rate: 63
  • VO2 Max: 41
  • Bench Press: 345lbs
  • 90 Degree Squat: 625lbs
Current (Testing taken in 2011)
  • Weight: 151lbs
  • Body Fat: 3%
  • Resting Heart Rate: 36
  • VO2 Max: 69* (last tested in June, 2011)
  • Best Marathon Time: 2:47

In the next 3 weeks, follow me as I lay down the road map of how I personally worked my way into competitive running, conquering my health and fueling my itch to compete. I look forward to dissecting the following topics which I perceive as pivotal to developing a healthy lifestyle:
  1. Proper Goal Setting and Consistent Work Ethic
  2. Eating Properly for your Health Goals
  3. Building Your Support Network