Pages

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Part 1: Setting Goals from a Personal Perspective



A quick Internet search shows just how vast this topic is (over 94 million hits on Google!). From famous athletes, to self made millionaires, to authors, everyone has an opinion. I don't want to bore you with the typical "set measurable or S.M.A.R.T goals," I just want to share what has worked for me along a 6 year journey of recreating my fitness. As I was running today, I realized I could write an endless amount of posts on this topic, but I will try to summarize it into four succint points on which I can expand upon.

1. A truly challenging goal has no shortcuts and takes fierce persistence

This may seem insanely obvious to some, but honestly, how many advertised shortcuts exist these days? With the "great American time constraint" as I call it, nothing irritates me more than reading about the next 30-day cleanse or "weightloss challenge" that is broadcast on social media or reality TV. Why set yourself up for simply losing 10lbs and then go back to eating terribly and never working out? If there is one thing that I have learned, it is that fitness isn't born overnight. I have truly succeeded because I have tirelessly worked towards reaching each goal that I have set. Becoming an efficient runner isn't as simple as lacing up a set of shoes and redlining down the trail. Matter of fact, that will lead to injury and a quick distaste for running. Going too hard too soon won't produce the freedom and joy that come over time.

When I set out to run a Boston qualifying marathon time after my first taste of the distance, I worked extremely hard and failed on three separate occasions. Once, I failed by only 2 minutes and barely had the strength to walk away from the finishing area because I was so devestated. Sure, I could have quit or told myself that I had reached my running "limit," but I knew this was selling myself a lie. Instead, I walked away each time with a new determination to eat healthier, train smarter, and learn from my failures. In the end, I have broken this original goal on 5 different occasions by over 30 minutes! This brings me to the next thing I have learned.

2. Each goal is a building block for the next

If you really desire to become phenominal at something or want to get into the best shape of your life, don't be trapped by what I would coin as the roller coaster effect. To illustrate the roller coaster effect, I will share a conversation that I will never forget.

While walking into an athletic facility last winter, I ran into an acquaintence that I recognized from the triathlon world. He is a middle aged iron distance athlete who appears to invest a lot of time into training for long distance races each year. As we were comparing notes, he smiled and told me it was once again time to get into shape for the next Ironman. Briefly, he explained how his fitness was like a roller coaster. Each year he gets in phenominal shape for Ironman, completes the race and then promptly cancels his membership and forgets about his fitness until Spring rolls around again. Just think how much easier it would be for this athlete if he had maintained some of that peak fitness to apply it to next season. If his fitness wasn't squandered in between each season, he would be able to reach a higher level each season!

Personally, I have invested in my health for the long haul by constantly setting new goals. After qualifying for my first Boston Marathon, I redialed my marathon goal to break 3 hours. After that, I set it for 2:50 and so on. With each goal, comes a new challenge to keep me honest and moving forward. Don't invest in a goal only to stay stationary!

3. Learn from Mistakes and Move On

Just recently, I turned in one of my personal worst ultra-marathon performances after training extremely hard for the Chippewa 50k. Even before I crossed the finish line, I considered dropping out of the race. Instead, I stubbornly dug in and told myself that I didn't want to start the ultra season with that mindset. As I crossed the line, I was left whole heartedly disappointed, but somewhat proud of my drive to finish what I started. After I decompressed for a couple of days, I did a mental inventory of everything that I did incorrectly. I realized that I ignored my nutritional strategy, didn't hydrate adequately, and allowed myself to be caught up in the competition, not the freedom of running through the woods. In the end, I used these painful memories to ensure that Superior 50k went much better. I completed Superior 17 minutes quicker for a new PR on a course that had double the vertical!

Missed your goal? Lace up and get after it!
Don't let failure turn into a paralyzer. Once you go down that path, it is hard to mentally regain health. Everyone fails and it is bound to happen to you if you are in the game long enough. The good news is that these failures turn into great stories down the road. Better yet, these failures can be great teaching points for blowing that missed goal completely out of the water on the next shot. When you fail, decompress, write down your errors, and capitalize on the nearest opportunity to sieze that goal. Waiting and brooding will only cause more anxiety and self doubt!

4. Make Contingency Plans

With each challenging goal comes exposure to failure. Success can be derailled after months of preparation due to any variety of external factors in life. Instead of putting each goal onto a life or death pedestal, take a moment to consider a contigency plan. This secondary goal shouldn't be an easy escape route, but rather a distant option to save just an ounce of what you have been working towards. Imagine working super hard to reach a marathon goal time only to wake up unprepared for 90 degree heat in the middle of Autumn. Ask me about Twin Cities Marathon in 2007, it happened! Ultimately I walked away with a time 20 minutes slower than what I trained for and a new perspective on adjusting goals! If I went for my original time, I would have never finished and ended in the medical tent. Why throw away all that work to completely fail when you could adjust and learn from the experience!