Pages

Friday, September 13, 2013

Learning from 100 - Sawtooth Recap


Disappointment doesn't come easy and that is probably why it has taken me over a week to even think about recapping Superior 100. I came into Superior feeling fairly rested after what I would consider a full summer of racing. From the start, my goals were to run a sub-24 hour time, start the day patiently, and take care of my body. I had no desire to be on the course for 27+ hours or walk myself home. Some people are happy with that, but personally I don't find it worthwhile or interesting (no offense to others that hold differing opinions). Mentally, I was prepared to suffer but prepared myself for a DNF due to nagging injuries that I started the race with, mainly issues in my left foot from continuous Plantar Fasciitis that has recently flared.

Superior 100 Race Start
Race morning was greeted by hot weather and not a lot of sleep. Mallory and I shared a gorgeous night of camping at Gooseberry Falls State Park with my generous pacer, Jason. The night was brief due to a late arrival, but I find it most relaxing to sleep under the stars and outside prior to a long day on the trails. Race day focus and a good portion of nerves made me forget to check in on race morning prior to start. Thus, just before we were off, I embarrassed myself, admitted the error and was finally an "official" part of the race. Scott Jurek's well known pacer Dusty Olson sprinted off the line, leaving us more mellow folks to ease into the day. I felt the humidity early, but ultimately felt pretty good. By A.S 1 I was finally warming up and settling into a good rhythm of eating, running, and walking the more sustained inclines.

Unlike my 50 mile ventures, I never stepped out of my comfort zone running. For me, this took patience and some adjustment in mindset. Although I much prefer faster racing, this did give me the ability to take in multiple Lake Superior views along with the general beauty of the Superior Hiking Trail. For those that have never been, I would highly recommend hiking or running as many segments as you can. It is truly unlike anything else found in Minnesota!

By A.S 2, I was dry....really dry! I had drained my entire hydration pack (1.5L) and felt slightly in trouble. As I fumbled to hydrate and eat, I was informed that I was in 3rd! I wasn't keeping track and was damn near shocked by this. I was told to not worry about position early and really hadn't given it a thought. All I wanted was sub-24! Upon leaving I still felt dry and overheated, thus backing off my pace more. All I could think is "shit this is slow!" So, I plugged in the headphones and subtracted the self-doubt of dehydration, working to push forward and drink. Unfortunately, this mostly failed. For one reason or another, my body was out of self-regulation early which I mostly chalked up to the minor cold leading into the race. By A.S 3, I was not passing fluid and more concerned. On top of that, my hydration bladder jammed, leaving me to take a hand bottle to the next stop 5 miles down the road. I left calm and collected, but I started to form some doubts.

Credit to my crew (Mal & Jason) who figured out my hydration mess by the next stop. I was greeted by a working pack, ice for my hat and a nutrition re-stock. Additionally, I was greeted by an overheated 2nd place runner by surprise. I think the feeling was mutual as he immediately stood and began his exit from the aid station. By the time I left A.S 4, I was feeling better. I was no longer peeing dark brown, I felt cooled off due to the ice in my pack and hat, and mentally I was refocused. As I slowly covered ground between 2nd and 3rd place, I felt some relief creep back into my body as I finally had my hydration back under control. The trail between AS 4 and AS 5 was extremely gorgeous. Passing the overlooks of Bean and Bear Lake was spectacular and was a relief in one of the more challenging portions of trail. Unfortunately, as the worry of dehydration left, my foot injury began to flare. After a couple of rest weeks, I was hopeful that I had the problem under control prior to this race. Unfortunately, that turned out to be untrue.

At 42.5 miles, my legs felt fresh and I was recharged by the sight of my dad as I entered into the A.S.
Coming into AS 4
This was his first opportunity to attend a trail race and I was pumped as he has been a huge influence in my sporting life. With that, I tried to place the pain of my foot out of my brain and focus hard on the journey ahead. Between this section and the halfway point, things went south for me. In the pre-dusk light, I faltered and limped my way to Finland (next aid point). At this point, I truly started to disconnect and question why I was putting my body through 100 miles. After finally arriving, I crumpled into a chair and tried to painfully work the knot from my foot. My hip was burning from overcompensation and I could feel my body slowly become unbalanced. Changing shoes and picking up Jason as a pacer brought some hope and much needed company to the situation as I had been running in 2nd and 3rd for 30+ miles by myself. Upon leaving, I was hopeful things would change with a new pair of shoes and some company.

Moving into the dark, things got tricky as expected with the amount of rocks and roots on the SHT. With each step, my foot continued to unravel, taking the rest of my body with it. I looked at Jason and broke the news that I was done for the day. I flat out had no desire to push it further as it was getting worse. Mile 57 took forever as I mostly walked to what would be my last aid stop. The disappointment of the day came out and I was mostly angry to drop out in a close 3rd place. Jason went on to pace the eventual women's winner and 2nd place finisher to the finish which relieved some of my feeling that I let him and those that supported me down (silly me).

Reflections:
After a week, I have had a lot of time to reflect on this race. Ultimately, it taught me a lot about where I want to focus this passion in the upcoming years. I am proud of this season and the improvement it has shown. Although I have a lot to learn, I think I can make more dramatic steps in the years to come through smarter training, a more focused race schedule and the awesome support that I gained this year. I walked away from Superior 100 with the realization that I won't pursue another 100 miler in the future for the following reasons (not meant to offend others of varying opinions or finishing times, I recognize that just completing 100 is a great feat of accomplishment for most):
  • Race Speed: With multiple 2:40ish marathons under my belt, I appreciate the speed of the 50 mile distance. I hate walking and do not have the current desire to slowly trudge my way to a 100 mile finish "just because." Where 100 demands more mental strength, 50 demands more pure speed and athleticism as a runner. I will continue to gamble on trail speed any day of the week.
  • Mindset: With the added popularity of trail running, I feel like 100's have become like completing an Ironman. It is everyone's ultimate goal. I will be the first to say I think that mindset is stupid. Like Ironman, 100 mile races are for a select few. For the rest, I think it is just plain dumb. I refuse to get sucked into this mindset and I would rather focus on where I can race the most and compete with the best. For me, running isn't about finishing. I feel a great sense of achievement through mastery, not completions or finishing medals/buckles.
  • Personal Life: Racing takes its toll. My goal is to remain balanced and experience longevity in this pursuit. Although I am thankful for my wife's never-ending support, there is a thin line between balanced and over-reaching. This is probably the most important.
My early ambitions for next year include running a 2:35 road marathon, improving on my discipline in 50 mile races, and possibly traveling for a 50k-50mile race out West. As my ability continues to grow in the 50 mile distance, I may look into racing at the 100k distance as I view that as both a target for achievement and my style of competition.

Post Season: I am fairly confident that Superior was my last race for the year. It is time to regroup, recharge and do other things for a while. What do I have on the short list? Well, aside from house projects, I plan to hike, cycle, fly fish, camp, and enjoy life with my wife and golden puppy. Every year, race season closes with the feeling of accomplishment and moderate parts relief / sadness. Although I love racing, I am always ready for a change of gears and more beer. Once the snow flies, I plan to become more adept in Nordic skate skiing as a way to strengthen my body and train for next year off the roads. I don't have serious plans for running until December time frame, but hope to get out on some relaxed trail adventures, enjoying the leaves and camaraderie of friends. Cheers to that.